The first time I ever experienced the delightful combination of apples and onions was early fall of this year. Jonathan, having recently returned from Paris, made me a spectacular dish called Chicken Normandy, complete with Calvados and cream to warm a hungary eater from the inside out. From that, I created this dish, Chicken with Shallot-Apple Relish, for my family on this chilly January eve.
My Dad is a HUGE relish person you see. He goes nuts for it- on fish, steak, pork chops, you name it. I enjoy a good relish myself, however, a very flavorful dish topped by a very flavorful relish can be flavor overload. For this dish, I simply seasoned the chicken breasts with a light coating of salt and pepper and let them sit for about 10 minutes to really soak in the seasoning.
Meanwhile, for the relish, I chopped 1/3 of an apple alongside 1/2 of a shallot and combined with some Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. I let this sit in the frigo until needed for all the flavors to soak in nicely.
I always get confused when it comes to shallots and scallions- they’re both of the onion family, they both begin with “s”… it’s a lot to work with when you have T-minus 6.4 minutes at Kroger and you forget half the goodies on your grocery list anyhow. Luckily, I got it right this time but just for future references:
This is a shallot
This is a scallion/green onion
After the chicken has been browned for about 4 minutes and is in the oven, I used the same pan for my relish. First, I deglazed the pan with some delightful apple cider, added my shallot-apple mixture, and let this simmer until the chicken was done!
This dish is great served alongside some roasted new potatoes. My mother always makes these when I come home-they’re incredibly easy and delicious!
Chicken with Shallot-Apple Relish
Yield: 4 Servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/3 apple, diced
1/2 shallot, diced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Generously salt and pepper chicken breasts, set aside.
3. Combine the diced apple and shallot, vinegar, and dijon mustard in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. When done, transfer chicken to a baking pan and bake until done, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Deglaze the skillet with apple cider. Add the shallot-apple mixture and simmer until chicken is complete.
6. Top chicken with glaze, relish, and serve!
Roasted New Potatoes
Yield: 4 Servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
6 new potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Place quartered potatoes on an aluminium foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Mix with hands until all potatoes are generously covered.
3. Roast potatoes for about 20 minutes until lightly browned.