What’s in a name? That which we call a strawberry scone
By any other name would taste as terrific.
Sometimes, I think scones are left out of the picture- overtaken by cookies during snack time and passed up for biscuits in the morning. Honestly though, I think scones are a fantastic creation. And a perfectly unique way to celebrate le jour de saint valentin all the day long.
I mean, you can even make them into hearts. How adorable is that.
I find that scones are best for subtle enjoyment. Perfect “chill out” items. As they go quite well dipped in some caffeinated beverage around 3 p.m., savoring a strawberry scone really changes the outlook on, well, pretty much everything 🙂 Happy Valentine’s Day and share a scone with someone you love!
Whole Grain Strawberry Scones
Servings: 6 scones Prep Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 15 minutes
1 cup white whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3T cold butter, sliced into small pieces
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix together the vanilla, strawberries and milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter and work mixture together with your fingertips until it reaches the consistency of sand.
4. Add the strawberry mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together. Dough should be fairly wet
5. Form dough into 6 equal balls and press slightly. To make into hearts, form each ball into a triangle. Using two fingers, make an indention in the middle of the base side, pulling the dough down until a heart shape forms.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool.
6. Once cool, mix together powdered sugar and milk for icing. Drizzle over scones and serve.