While home this summer, I made a very interesting discovery. Our lovable family dog, Cooper, is obsessed with graham crackers. He gets crazy eyes when you pull one out of that signature shiny blue box and goes absolute bonkers until you break off a tiny piece to share. I already knew he was a bit of an odd ball but this new development is definitely one for the books.
I think he would have particularly enjoyed these s’mores cupcakes with their graham cracker crumb topping, if only dogs were allowed chocolate. It must be horrible not to eat chocolate I think. On the other hand, Cooper has the stomach of shark and could probably vacuum up a license plate if he thought it would make a tasty treat. I don’t feel to terribly bad about the situation.
My mom purchased this wicked cupcake pan that has these little skewers in the middle for hiding a small filling of sorts. It works really great for these cupcakes in particular as hiding a marshmallow in the middle is absolute paramount. While it evaporates slightly, it really gives the middle that gooey fresh-off-the-flame s’more texture that is both deadly and delicious.
Ma also developed a crazy good crumb topping made from graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and a little bit of butter to top these chocolate marshmallow infused cupcakes. Get ready for that nice s’more “crunch.” If you want to go all out, double the crumb topping recipe to line the bottom of the cupcakes, too. In my book, there’s no such thing as too much graham cracker. Ever.
We all know I’m a fan of taking one dish and making it into another but these cupcakes are truly something delicious. If you want to keep it simple and classy, just roll with the basic chocolate cupcake recipe and wow your friends and family with your superior baking abilities! With cupcakes, you really just can’t go wrong.
Yield: 10-12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk (1/2 cup nonfat milk + 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 5-6 large marshmallows
- 2 1/2 sheets graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line 10-12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In another bowl, cream the oil and sugar with a mixer on medium high speed. Add egg, vanilla, and buttermilk, mixing well.
- Combine with flour mixture and set aside.
- Cut marshmallows in half and place halves in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- In a small bowl, break up graham crackers and crush into crumbs. Add brown sugar and melted butter, mixing until combined.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 way with cupcake batter and top with graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Top with roasted marshmallows if desired and serve warm!