Whenever I think of chicken salad, I always think of cute little 1960s tea parties where pretty ladies get together and eat finger sandwiches and talk about revamping the town’s scenic areas or implementing stop signs or partaking in some juicy gossip. Can you tell I’ve been watching a little too much Mad Men lately? Whatever the case, I find chicken salad completely delicious although I tend to stay away from those recipes involving obscene amounts of mayo and other unsightly ingredients. With the help of my mom, however, we created a “lightened up” version sure to satisfy any taste bud of those either health conscious or of a long-time chicken salad devotee.
In order to keep that creamy dreamy texture, plain old Greek yogurt is the key here. Substituting this for most of the mayo keeps everything light and fresh without sacrificing taste. To amp up the flavor, we also added the traditional celery, some Dijon mustard and just a pinch of sugar to get that mayo sweetness without the extra calories.
My favorite part of this recipe is the secret ingredient- chopped macadamia nuts. That extra crunch keeps the salad sweet and exciting with a great combo of textures and tastes. If you want, get creative and try adding some pineapple and red onion or cranberries and pecans. Let the salad be your blank mural of culinary inspiration!
Lightened Up Chicken Salad
- 5 teaspoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1.5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon low fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cups chicken, diced
- salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar
- parsley for garnish
- Chop celery quite thin and combine with chicken in a medium bowl.
- Add the yogurt, mustard, mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Add the macadamia nuts, salt, pepper and just a pinch of sugar to taste.
- Garnish with a bit of parsley and serve with crackers or on tea sandwiches!