Greetings food-lovers! I’m currently in Houston, visiting my world-traveling boyfriend after he spent the entire summer in Japan. And of course, I didn’t come empty handed; a good girlfriend always brings cookies (or at least I do so I can have something to snack on during the trip).
Jonathan’s favorite cookies come in the form of white chocolate macadamia nut but I thought I would spice things up just a bit. I really wanted to experiment with interesting flavor combinations so for these bad boys, we have pairings such as blueberries and ginger alongside white chocolate and sea salt. I love that no single flavor is too overpowering but all come together quite nicely with each bite!
No worries though! The macadamia nuts are still here. However, you’ll be glad to find that some of that crunch comes from a decent amount of oats (and oat flour!) in the recipe. If you’re looking to go gluten-free, go ahead and substitute the remaining cup of white whole wheat flour for oats ground in a food processor or spice grinder (although, be sure to check that they’re specified as whole grain or gluten-free!).
I love to have these bite-sized bits of heaven with tea but they also go perfectly well on their own. For more flavor combinations, try substituting dried cherries for blueberries or dark chocolate for white!
(P.S. ….i think he likes them!!!!)
Salted White Chocolate-Blueberry Tea Cookies
Yield: about 16-18 cookies
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour (just grind some oats in a spice/coffee grinder!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- (scant) 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup white chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons blueberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flours, soda, salt and ginger in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together egg, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in white chocolate, blueberries, oats and macadamia nuts.
- Place dough in rounded tablespoons in baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden around the edges.