After a fantastic year abroad in Switzerland and a few months of a blogging hiatus, I’m officially back in the cooking game – and back in Texas! Today, I thought I might share an absolutely fantastic recipe crafted by one of my former flatmates! Say hello to Whole Wheat Vegetarian Naan Wraps!
I’m a huge fan of these bad boys. Chock-full of protein and antioxidants, these are pretty easy to make and perfect for a summer lunch!
To start, the dough requires a little tender loving care but the result is well worth it. After combining all the ingredients found below, allow it to rise for about two hours. When ready, pinch off a medium sized bit and roll out until fairly flat, like so:
After this, grill it in a pan with a bit of olive oil until browned. When finish, top with the veggies (and legumes) of your choice! Personally, I enjoy a bit of cooked black or red beans, spinach, tomato, and avocado but the choice is yours!
Whole Wheat Veggie Naan Wraps
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 packet instant yeast
- ½ tbsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup warm milk
- ¾ plain yogurt
Directions (from http://www.monsoonspice.com)
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and keep aside for 10 minutes until it becomes bubbly and frothy.
- Next sift wheat flour along with sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a small well in the centre and slowly add yogurt, oil, and milk/yeast . Add little warm water if needed and kneading till you get soft pliable dough.
- Cover this dough with plastic wrap and keep it in a warm place for 1½ to 2 hours till the dough rises and doubles its original quantity.
- Punch down this raised dough to release air and divide it into equal, lemon sized balls.
- Heat griddle on medium heat. Roll a dough ball in little wheat flour and flatten it. With a rolling pin, roll it into a ¼ inch thick oval.
- Flip the naan and sprinkle little water and gently place it on the griddle.
- When you see bubbles forming on the surface of naan in few seconds time flip the naan until cooked evenly